University Housing and Campus Dining

Campus Living

University Housing is committed to providing a quality living and learning environment to freshmen and sophomores that encourages academic and personal development. Housing options include triple, double and private rooms in residence halls and apartments. Throughout the year, academic, social and service-oriented programs are offered to enhance students’ experience.

How are the rooms furnished?
Residence hall rooms include a bed, a chest of drawers, a desk, a chair, a bookshelf and a wastebasket for each resident. Apartments have four to five bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and two bathrooms and are fully furnished. More housing move-in information, a list of allowed and restricted items, room dimensions and other details  can be found on the University Housing website.

What staff is available for students living on campus? 
The coordinators of student development (CSD) are full-time professionals with master’s degrees who are skilled in leadership, program development, resource referral, and advising. Living in the halls and apartment communities, they train and direct resident/community advisors in their duties, supervise the desk staff, advise students on Hall Council functions, and oversee community standards and administrative procedures.

How are roommate disputes handled?
Many disputes can be resolved before they begin by roommates taking some time at the beginning of the year to complete a Roommate Agreement form and by addressing concerns in a respectful manner as they arise. Students can also talk with their resident advisor (RA) and/or the CSD, who will help them improve communication and help solve their differences.

How can I get more information regarding a Community Standards resolution my son or daughter has received?
 University Housing expects residents to act maturely, responsibly and respectfully. You are encouraged to speak directly to your son or daughter to get as much information as possible about any incident. Due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, staff cannot provide information about student records without a Release of Information form.  Students who would like staff to speak with their parents about a particular incident may turn in a completed Release of Information form allowing the discussion to occur. CSDs can provide general information about the judicial process.

Students found in violation of housing policies are subject to administrative and educational resolutions. If violations are serious or repetitive, the administrative resolution may include revocation of students’ on-campus housing license. In such cases, students are required to move off campus but continue to pay for their on-campus housing and dining plan for the remainder of their housing contract.

Who can I talk to about a problem my son or daughter is having?
Students who come to you with a problem should be encouraged to contact their CSD. If you have a concern that you feel is affecting your son or daughter’s well being, you may contact the CSD yourself. They appreciate being aware of your concerns and will follow up as appropriate.

How can I mail a letter or package to a student?
Include the following information when addressing mail:
    Student’s Name
    Hall Name and Room Number
    Cal Poly
    One Grand Avenue
    San Luis Obispo, CA  93410 + 4 digit extension

Cal Poly’s Distribution Services department sorts and distributes all mail. Letters are delivered to the student’s mailbox, and packages are delivered to a Residence Hall Package Center. It is recommended that the sender mail packages with delivery confirmation. Students are notified via e-mail when packages have been received. University Housing cannot accept delivery of packages from Distribution Services during academic breaks. Once the academic year ends, the campus does not forward student mail. See the "Mailing Addresses" link under the Freshmen, Transfer or Continuing menus on the University Housing website.

What course of action is recommended for students who have pre-existing medical or mental health concerns?
Students are strongly encouraged to set up a support network of medical and/or mental health professionals in the San Luis Obispo area before arriving on campus. Parents are encouraged to contact Cal Poly’s Health and Counseling Services if assistance is needed to set up support services.

University Housing welcomes the opportunity to address concerns in a proactive manner. This allows parents, students and housing staff to become partners in setting up support systems that help students succeed. For more information, contact the Residential Life and Education staff at 805-756-5690.

How can freshman apply to live on-campus for a second year?
Current Cal Poly freshmen who have demonstrated mature, responsible and respectful behavior are given a “priority application window” during winter quarter to apply for second-year campus housing in Poly Canyon Village and the Cerro Vista Apartments. Details are provided to students and parents in January, prior to the date of their application window.

University Housing sends students e-mails, posts and distributes flyers, and places advertisements in Cal Poly’s Mustang Daily newspaper prior to University Housing’s application window.

What programs are available for second-year students living on campus?
The Poly Canyon Village Apartments house 2,700 students in fully furnished on-campus apartments. The Sophomore Success Program in Poly Canyon Village is designed to help second-year students living on campus with a successful transition to their junior year. Second-year residents benefit from events and services that support and expand upon their academic experience. The program addresses academic planning, community awareness and involvement, and autonomy. Staff promote mature and responsible living environments.

Off-Campus Living

What resources are available to help students plan for off-campus living?
University Housing offers a variety of resources and information on its website regarding off-campus living. Under the “Off Campus Living” heading, students will find a variety of links and information available to assist them.
Sources for off-campus rental listings include:

  • Click on “Off-Campus Living,” then “Housing Listing Services.”
  • Click on “Classifieds.”
  • Local newspapers The Tribune and New Times

What assistance is available if students encounter unsafe housing in the community?
Many renters aren’t aware of, or tend not to worry about, improperly maintained housing or safety issues until they find themselves in situations that cost them time and money. Students should be urged to carefully inspect rentals before signing agreements. Code Enforcement for the City of San Luis Obispo investigates residential building code violations. For more information or to report a suspected violation, visit the San Luis Obispo Community Development website.
What assistance is available if students encounter roommate or landlord/tenant disputes?
 SLO Solutions offers free conflict resolution services specializing in landlord/tenant, neighbor/neighbor, and roommate/housemate conflicts. Call 805-549-0442 or visit SLO Solutions for more information.

Students can make an appointment for a free one-time, 15-minute legal consultation through the Associated Students Inc. (ASI) Business Office in the University Union, Room 212, or by calling 805-756-1281.

Cal Poly’s Counseling Center can also assist students who need someone to talk to about roommate or landlord issues.

The State of California’s Department of Consumer Affairs publishes a California Tenants’ Guide that is helpful and “renter-friendly.”

Campus Dining

Food is fuel for the mind. Restaurants on campus nourish and stimulate the intellect of thousands of Cal Poly students. Campus Dining is dedicated to providing a variety of quality fresh foods and exceptional service in a friendly environment.

Campus Dining offers over 20 restaurants and food venues on campus with at least one food operation open every day. Campus Dining offers a wide variety of fare that is vegetarian, non-dairy, wheat/gluten-free and low-fat to accommodate various food preferences and allergies. Fresh foods are brought in from local and regional producers to develop healthy and delicious menu items.

Campus Dining is constantly improving its operations to function more sustainably. Driven by consumer demand, all campus restaurants avoid using polystyrene (foam), and all of the cardboard, plastic, glass, and metal used is properly recycled. The culinary chefs are mindful about purchasing fruits, vegetables, dairy, and meat products from the Cal Poly Organic Farm and other local producers. Thousands of pounds of food material is composted and safely made into premium soil. Campus Dining operates biodiesel trucks and is continually looking for ways to green things up!

What are the dining plan options?

There are four dining plans for first-year students living on campus to choose from: Freedom, Flexibility, Security, and Apartment Life. The dining plans differ in the number of dining credits and amount of Plu$ Dollars. For more information, see the Campus Dining website.

The dining credit component, allocated weekly, can be used at several campus restaurants, providing dining convenience throughout the year. Plu$ Dollars can be used to buy food at any campus restaurant or marketplace. Plu$ Dollars are allocated quarterly and can be used at any time during the contractual period.

The PolyCard (Cal Poly ID) is used to track and redeem dining credits and Plu$ Dollars on campus.

How do students sign up for a dining plan?

After they are accepted into campus housing, students can sign up for a dining plan by visiting the Cal Poly portal and clicking on the “Dining Plan” tab. Access to the “Dining Plan” tab is available only after registration and payment for campus housing has been received and processed by the university. Sign-up for fall dining plans begins in the summer.

How do I pay for the dining plan?

Payments for campus dining plans may be made by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover, with no service charge) or by check. If paying by check, sign up for a dining plan on the Cal Poly portal, print out the form, and mail it with your check. Make the check payable to “Cal Poly Corporation,” write the student ID number on the check, and send it to:

Cal Poly Corporation Cashier
One Grand Avenue
Building 15
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0707

Payments should be postmarked by the due date to avoid a $25 late fee.

What is the Campus Express Club?

The Campus Express Club makes it easy for students to purchase food, supplies and services on campus with their PolyCard (Cal Poly ID). Parents and students can add value at any time by going online or dropping off a check at the Campus Dining Customer Service Office (Building 19). Students can use their Campus Express Club at all campus restaurants, El Corral Bookstore, Canyon Post, and Health Services, as well as for printing at computer labs and at many vending machines on campus.

To easily add value to a student’s Campus Express Club, go to the Campus Dining website and click on “Add Value Now.”

How can I send care packages to a student?

The Campus Dining Care Pack program makes it easy to send students birthday cakes, cookies, gift certificates, and other popular items. Packages are delivered to their students’ homes or on-campus rooms. For details and order forms, go to the Campus Dining Care Pack website.

Do students with a dining plan need Campus Express Club, too?

Most students do use the Campus Express Club in addition to the dining plan since the dining plan only covers purchases at campus restaurants, markets and many vending machines. The Campus Express Club is convenient because it allows students to use their PolyCard at El Corral Bookstore, Pony Prints and Health Services, as well as for printing at campus computer labs.

Poly Parents!


Week of Welcome

Week of Welcome